Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Most Unusual Invitation . . .



A very hot spring morning brought a disheveled flea bitten Gizmo out of his hole. He said he gets alot of strange mail but this card was different . . .  it smelled like lavender and was postmarked from "London". It seems it was from a couple of very distinguished English swans, in regards to a garden party at Buckingham Palace followed by a glide down the Thames with "Queen". I am not totally sure who "Queen" is . . . is she a special swan? It also said a special representative from the palace would greet him at a place called Heathrow.


A garden party!!! Yes, a day to taste fresh new vegetarian delights. Perhaps a new worm or snail with fresh dew, and tea.  YES!!! I am going!



So much to do! . . .
     A passport---no, I have never needed one besides
     A breast pack filled with berries, mint, watercress,  and CORN
     A diaper preferably green--yes, sometimes geese wear them on long trips
     A compass and map for strange places
     Money--no, I have a visa card

With some feather adjustments I should be already to go . . . and one last fond farewell to a grinning toothy Gizmo!

The trip to the airport was just a few dips with my wings.


It was an easy walk into the airport, I just followed some children, they thought I was a toy!!!!!!! I am NEVER taken seriously! The security guards gave me a most agreeable pat down and checked my diaper (REALLY!). I kept my breast pack - lunch, you know.

Hours later the plane finally landed, I looked about for the palace representative--I even called "Queen", "Queen", "Queen" . . . nothing. Glad I brought the compass and map. A quick flap of my wings and I should be at the palace gardens . . .


     
Flying in over the gardens I saw the swans . . . so elegant and regal, glad I brought extra corn. After an awkward landing, there I was in a beautiful flower garden with two swans gliding on a small pond with several noisy frogs (they probably want to be kissed). Is this Heaven?

No eye contact! No how do you do?! I think they looked right past me . . . well, I WAS invited! They won't even speak to me!!! and I came all this way! I paddled closer--no luck, maybe it's the diaper. I'll get rid of it. I will offer corn--no luck.

Ok, ok, I just remembered the word, "Queen"--"Queen." They pointed to the palace with a very stiff English tone said I had better learn to curtsy!----I can do that. How will I know when I see "Queen"?--
"No, dear, it is THE QUEEN and you will know her by the crown she wears. "Ohhhh, a crown, like flowers in a circle?" Nothing. Well, guess I will walk over to the palace.

After leaving wet webbed foot prints and green calling cards no "Queen". "Queen," "Queen," "Queen!"

Well its getting dark and I am exhausted, well past riparian bed time, a beak of corn, and then goose dreams. Maybe I will just take a sleep in one of these very big beds! Tonight will I dream of "Queen"?

Until next time . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment