Thursday, September 20, 2012

It's getting cooler!!!!!!


A dear friend . . .

I have a dear friend who has a very special day today!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,  FRANCIS!!!!!


We are all flapping our wings for you! and switching our tails! Tonight some goose friends will do a "fly over"--hope you can hear them! Listen hard! 


It is getting cooler! The leaves have just a touch of color . . . I don't think they will be glorious this year because of the summer drought. But is it important to be "glorious"? . . . I guess if you are a leaf and this is your only chance, it might be. But a drab brown leaf can be beautiful inside and do wonderful things. I love to kick dry fall leaves and make paths. I am wondering if the Man With The Long Blue Apron will set out pumpkins to roll and play ball with and then EAT!

I admit I am feeling a bit of melancholy--winter is coming and it is always hard for us on the riverbank. By spring we will all be different, at least those who survive the cold and hunger. Some of us will feel a bit more stiff and old. Predators have been perusing the area even now, it is always hard. Miss Sophie Goose was attacked two weeks ago--she was a bloody mess. She could barely hold her head up but at least made it to the corn pile where the Man With The Long Blue Apron gathered her bloodied battered body in his arms and carried her into the mill. He bathed her wounds, stroked her, applied antiseptic, and wiped her tears. She got warm cracked corn for several days, we all fussed over her. So you can see fall is a bit solemn, a time to reflect and be thankful for the summer abundance and for all our friends, and to hold hope and faith in our hearts.

Until next time . . .



1 comment:

  1. Hi Bob. Thank you for your birthday wish. Geese must not forget such things. While birthdays are always exciting, I have just realized that I am now old. Which is not as exciting as getting presents. But that means that I can drive cars now, which can be stressful, mostly for other more experienced drivers. I don't think that you have personally driven a motorized vehicle, I think it's more difficult than flying, especially because driving is not pre-programmed into human brains. I hope that you will have a pleasant autumn.

    Francis

    ReplyDelete